- A recent U.N. Security Council statement has said that additional resources and funding are needed to prevent more than 20 million people in Yemen, South Sudan, Somalia, and northeast Nigeria from the prospect of famine.
- A recent report by CBS news showed that Iceland is on its way to eliminate people with Down syndrome.
- After reciting the Angelus prayer on the feast of the Assumption, the pope asked Mary to obtain for everyone consolation and a future of serenity and harmony.
- Monday, August 21st is the big day for the total solar eclipse, which begins in Oregon at 10:18 Pacific Time and ends in South Carolina at 2:43pm Eastern Time.
- U.S. bishops and other groups around the country are calling for peace after a chaos and hate filled weekend in Virginia that left three people dead and several others injured.
- Pope Francis has a busy travel schedule ahead of him. Sister Ruth Katharina Martha Pfau has died at the age 87.
- The Vatican is now making it easier to experience all that it has to offer without even having to get on a plane.
- Greg Dougherty is rowing his 18 foot-long canoe 1,400 nautical miles from Miami to New York to draw attention to the Marian apparitions at Fatima.
- Bishop Oscar Cantu, the chairman of the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on International Justice and Peace, called for diplomacy and political engagement to resolve the differences between the U.S. and North Korea and avoid military conflict.
- Catholic Relief Services has just released a film focusing on the need to do away with orphanages around the world.
- At the end of July, Gov. Eric Greitens of Missouri signed Senate Bill 5, which some say could be the strongest pro-life legislation passed in many years.
- In honor of the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Japan and the Holy See, a unique theater show was brought to the Vatican.
- Father David Hammond, a Navy chaplain who holds the rank of lieutenant, offered a Mass and prayers Aug. 6 for victims, survivors, and families of a Marine aircraft crash off the coast of Australia that killed three.
Kevin Nelson reports on Catholic news for August 8, 2017
- Former Archbishop of Milan, Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi, passes away
- Pope Francis to visit Myanmar?
- Vatican calls on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to respect nation's current constitution
- Pope Francis offers condolences to victims and survivors of deadly shooting during Mass in Ozubulu, Nigeri
- Irish Augustinian priests and American Catholic community in Rome work out housing deal
Kevin Nelson reports on Catholic news for August 4, 2017
- Supreme Knight Carl Anderson announced that Knights of Columbus were pledging to raise 2 million dollars to assist Christian families in returning to their homes in Iraq
- Iraqi forces reclaim Mosul from ISIS
- Archbishop of Detroit Allen Vigneron presided over private exhumation service of soon-to-be-beatified Capuchin priest Father Solanus Casey
- Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli and a choir of 60 children from the poorest areas of Haiti sing after Pope Francis' general audience
Kevin Nelson reports on Catholic news for July 28, 2017
- Pope Francis to launch "Share the Journey" campaign
- Hispanic-owned retailer Goya Foods donated ten thousand pounds of food to Catholic Charities of Boston in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Puerto Rican festival of Massachusetts
- Nearly 500 young people from around the world joined 1,000 Maronite Catholic youths from Lebanon for World Maronite Youth Days
- Federal Communications Commission has approved the merger of Relevant Radio and Immaculate Heart Radio
Kevin Nelson reports on Catholic news for December 5, 2017
- Pope Francis focused his words on preparing for the Lord's coming during Angelus
- Pope encouraged men and women considering vocations to not fear God’s plan for them and open their hearts to the voice of God
- Papal press conference on the plane ride back from Myanmar and Bangladesh
- University of Alabama study exploring link between faith and health demonstrated those with devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe had fewer negative health issues related to stress